Sunday, September 2, 2012

A New Sort of Challenge

start something sunday

I know I haven't been the greatest at blogging recently. In part, it's adjusting to my new schedule. In part, it's that I haven't felt up to really writing- even if the only thing I write is a paragraph's worth of bad jokes. I have a  backlog of photos that I want to talk about, and I promise, eventually I'm going to get there. In fact, I think that next weekend I'll be dedicating an afternoon to writing up some of that backlog. In the meantime, accept this brief, ridiculously excited post.

I've been hit by the startitis bug. There's nothing that motivates me more when it comes to crafting and baking than a self-induced competition. Set me up against other people and I get wishy-washy. Tell me to compete against myself? Game ON. When the Ravellenics ended, I was pretty bummed. For one thing, I didn't finish that shawl. For another, it meant that race against time was over. I had nothing to be excited about when it came to competing. I didn't know of any other challenges that I could compete in apart from One Day a Week for UFOs (a group which, I admit, I kind of abandoned because I ran out of UFOs!), and Stash Knit Down (which I'm not really interested in competing. I'd actually prefer to increase my stash because I know I'll be facing the real financial world soon).

So yes. There was some significant moping when the Olympics ended. Thankfully, I also was listening to this great videocast called The Knit Girllls, which introduced me to my newest obsession: The Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup. Yes, you read that right. I'm competing with others in a.. fictional challenge.
 
Okay, I admit it. I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan. I loved the books when I was growing up. Then the fifth, sixth, and seventh books came out and I realized that frankly, J.K. Rowling, while a great kids/action/fantasy writer really wasn't great at all aspects of writing, and those books kind of ruined the series for me. Don't get me wrong- I read all the books. I still think it's an amazing series, and I'm so glad that I was introduced to them when I was... I just grew out of them. So when I first heard about this knitting and crochet group, I wasn't really that thrilled... and then I heard Laura continue to talk about it and explain and I was intrigued.

Okay, I was more than intrigued. I impatiently waited for the sorting to open and stuck my name in as soon as possible. I expected to be sorted into Ravenclaw or Slytherin (the two houses I self-identify with the most because the whole interacting-with-people thing? Not really my forte). Surprise, surprise! Instead it was Gryffindor!

Roooooar!

I understand where it came from (kind of). I'm very ambitious about my projects- stupidly so, see the aforementioned Ravellenics shawl- and that can be translated into bravery when it comes to setting goals for myself.

Regardless, I'm so happy to be participating in the cup. It's only two days in, and I'm already having so much fun! It's seriously started a bout of startitis in me that has yet to fade (if anything, I'm getting worse!)

So far, I've cast on for a lovely beaded shawl:

Holden Shawlette

The photo does nothing to show off how gorgeous this yarn is in my Holden. It's going to count for my Flying lesson- it'll be awfully pointy!

Then today, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and cast on for another project.

Seeta Mitts

These Seeta Mitts are for my sister, Jennifer, as well as counting for DADA. Hopefully they're bright enough to help identify her.

And that's it... For now. I suspect that by tomorrow another project will sneak onto my needles. I already have a few more projects assigned to different classes, but I'm afraid that if I cast on too many things, they won't all get done! So I'm trying to reign myself in.

Trying being the key word. 

0 comments: